Press "Enter" to skip to content

Another murder? Man shot on Grove Street

Some nine hours after it was found, the body of a middle aged white male now positively identified as Charles G. Adams, 56, was removed from a doorway at 488 Grove Street after a fatal shooting that occurred at about 7 a.m. Friday. Just after 7 p.m., an arrest was made. The suspect was not identified. The arrest was made at 501 Grove Street where the investigation shifted after the body was found and considerable additional evidence was collected there. That evidence reportedly included shells or shell casings and a gun case. GBI crime scene technician Todd Crosby placed several items from the area of the residence into large bags and took them into custody. A white male was taken into custody at the residence but officers said he was wanted on traffic charges. Officers would not confirm that this is the man now charged in the shooting. He did say more information would be released Saturday. The area was crawling with law enforcement personnel including deputies, Barnesville police, at least three GBI agents, DNR rangers and a K9 team from the Georgia Department of Corrections. Also on the scene were assistant district attorney Scott Johnston and prosecution investigator Scott Thurston. Additionally, a helicopter with a forward looking infrared radar system provided by the Spalding County sheriff’s office scoured the area from the sky before being forced back due to high winds. It later returned to take aerial photos of the scene. The description of the suspect in the hours after the shooting was sketchy – a white male with a grey hoodie. Lamar County schools were locked down briefly Friday morning when a person matching that description was seen in the area of one school. That turned out to be a false alarm. The man taken into custody on the alleged traffic charges had on a grey hooded garment of some kind covered by a green shirt. A woman who resides next door to the duplex where the shooting occurred said she heard a noise that sounded like a shot. ‘I was in my house and heard a loud noise like a shot. About 10 minutes later the cops pulled up,’ said the woman whose name is being withheld for security reasons. Another witness on the scene said DFACS personnel had been in the neighborhood of several duplexes earlier this week on a protective matter. Adams’ body was removed by Williams Funeral Home. As the long, cold day wore on, two black females stopped officers at the scene and gave a detailed statement regarding something they had seen in the area that they felt may be of importance. Additionally, school system transportation director Glenn Forsyth delivered a videotape – presumably from a school bus security camera that may have recorded something of significance while students were being picked up in the area near the time of the fatal shooting. At 7:30 p.m. Friday, a phalanx of officers remained on the scene the strobes of various cameras used by investigators flashed both inside and outside the home. Officers trekked through the woods with flashlights while additional lights on a GBI mobile crime lab lit the area.

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Website by - Copyright 2021