Press "Enter" to skip to content

Inmate dies at Spalding jail

An 60-year-old inmate at the Spalding County jail died March 4 as he was about to receive his daily medication. From Spalding sheriff Darrell Dix: On March 4, 2017 at approximately 9:45pm an inmate being housed in the Spalding County Jail fell ill and was later pronounced dead after attempts to save him were unsuccessful. Darrell Jones W/M 60 years of age was being held in the Spalding County Jail for violation of probation and violation of the Georgia Family Violence Act when he became ill during a normal medication call. As Jones was standing with the staff nurse awaiting his nightly medications he suddenly grasped his chest, fell to the floor and became unresponsive. Medical staff and deputies began rendering aid and located a slight pulse. Jones was carried by staff to the Spalding Detention Center Medical facility where they were unable to locate any further vital signs. As a result they began administering CPR. Paramedics from Spalding Regional EMS were notified and were on scene in less than 5 minutes. Units of Griffin Fire Rescue also responded to the complex to assist. Jones was transported to Spalding Regional Hospital where he was pronounced dead by the emergency room attending physician. Spalding County Coroner Sonny Foster and his staff were notified of the death and responded to both the hospital and the detention facility. Coroner Foster has made arrangements for the state crime lab to conduct an autopsy on Jones. Due to the fact that Jones died while he was in custody the housing unit where he was being held was placed on immediate lockdown, and Sheriff Darrell Dix contacted the GBI to investigate the circumstances surrounding Jones’ death. According to Sheriff Dix: ‘As of now the inmates that were close to the area where the incident occurred and detention staff that were present have been interviewed. The scene was also photographed and processed for any evidence. Autopsy arrangements have been made and hopefully will shed light on the cause of Jones’ sudden death. The entire incident was captured on the video system located in the housing unit where Jones was being held and there are no indications that any type of violence occurred on the video prior to his death. The statements of the witnesses that were present concur with the video that was captured. That video has been turned over to the GBI as a part of their investigation. At this point all we can do is continue gathering facts and await the results of the autopsy and investigation.’

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Website by - Copyright 2021